It’s time to stop complaining about what you don’t have and be grateful for what you do have.
Being ungrateful is an energy drainer. You turn into a whiner and a complainer and nobody wants to be around someone who does that. I personally cannot stand whining and complaining. I am personally taking on this approach of just being grateful about what I have and I’d like you to join me.
My first approach is to identify when I feel like complaining about the lack of things in my life. I identify it, I acknowledge my thoughts and then I start looking at the brighter side to my life.
Owning your own business elicits both positive and negative emotions. The negative ones always seem to drag on and before you know it, you start to complain about things all the time and that eventually bogs you down. So your client didn’t pay, your geyser burst and you did not get whatever you was expecting. What I do in these situations is look around me and appreciate that I am exactly where I should be. I take audit and see that I have everything I need. Sure I could use a bit more of some things but they are not important right now.
I watched a motivational video recently and one of the comments that stood out was ‘whether you are flying business class or economy class, you still get to the same destination’.
I am learning to appreciate what I have and to be grateful for where I am in my life. Try waking up everyday not complaining but rather looking around you and appreciating what you have. You will be pleasantly surprised at how many things there are to be thankful for.
Here is what I’m thankful for:
- I woke up alive
- I woke up next to my beautiful daughter
- I am breathing in clean air
- I am grateful for the running water I have access to
- I am grateful for the electricity
- I am grateful for my feet, legs and arms
- I am grateful my health
- I am grateful for my business – it offers me flexibility and I do work that I love
- I am grateful for my family – my daughter, my mother, my brother, my sisters
- I am grateful for my friends
- I am grateful for people like Zeenat who help me stay positive when I feel down
- I am grateful for friends like Nthabe who keeps me on the straight and narrow and encourage me to dream big
- I am grateful for my clients who pay me and keep me going
- I am grateful for a strong immune system that protects me
- I am grateful for the painful things that happen because I learn lessons
- I am grateful for my house, food, clothes etc.
- I am grateful for everything
Today I encourage all of you to start practicing gratitude. Train your mind to appreciate what it has. You will be amazed at how much better you feel.
Have a wonderful week.